Hello! My name is Lauren and I’m so glad you’re here. Seriously.
A Ruffled Heart started in November 2011 as a place to document my journey with an upcoming open heart surgery. I was diagnosed at birth with pulmonary valve stenosis – a congenital heart defect (CHD) -leading to my first surgery at 11 months old. After 28 years of normal healthy living, I went for a routine check up only to discover I desperately needed a new heart valve. I underwent my second open heart surgery in January 2012 – just two months shy of my first wedding anniversary. You can read all about my surgery and recovery process, and grab the tissues if you decide to read A Letter From Dad.
Since writing and sharing about living with CHD many people have reached out with stories and questions regarding CHD in their own lives or in lives of people they love.
It doesn’t surprise me when CHD is the leading birth defect with 1 in 100 babies being born with some type of structural heart defect.
I decided to take A Ruffled Heart to the next level, to not just be a personal blog, but a place where I can be a resource to families who need encouragement as they face their own challenges and victories.
If you are new to CHD
- CHD Vocabulary – What do all these terms mean?
- Quick Facts about living with CHD
- Resources to help you and your family
Learn more about my personal journey with CHD
- I need surgery
- Other complications
Quick Facts about Lauren
- Born in Florida and had my first open heart surgery at Shands Hospital in Gainesville
- I attended Florida State University – Go NOLES!
- After college I joined the great migration to the west and landed in beautiful Colorado
- I met my husband while on staff with The Navigators during a summer program in the Rocky Mountains
- After three months of marriage I found out I needed a second open heart surgery
- I had my pulmonary valve replaced in January of 2012 with a bovine tissue valve
- Since my surgery I have been blessed with two healthy pregnancies and two beautiful children
- Summer is my favorite season
- I love cookies . . . and cake . . . and anything with sugar in it
- My husband is an associate pastor and I host my own faith-based podcast called She Proves Faithful
- Our family is working on building a little urban homestead